10 July, 2010

CSA Saturday

So I’ve been cooking but I haven’t been writing as usual. Perhaps I’ll just write on Saturdays from now on. Let’s just go with that.

So, this week, on Thursday, I had the realization that I was going to have to go pick up MORE fruits and veggies today (Saturday) and, that I’d not used up what I’d gotten before. uh-oh. So I went on the internet to see what i could do with the rat tail radishes they gave us and found this recipe. Unfortunately, I didn’t have most of the ingredients so I had to improviser a little. Here’s my version:

Moongre ki Subzi
(Radish pods)
Serves 4

a literal hand full of fresh radish pods (about 64 g)
1 medium potato 
pinch of powdered ginger
pinch of powdered garlic
1T tomato paste
1 T oil
pinch of powdered cumin
pinch of turmeric
pinch of coriander powder
dash of chilli powder
salt
About 1/2 c water

Rinse the radish pods. Top and tail them. Snap into 1-1 1/2″ lengths. Cube the potatoes.

Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan. Add the prepared vegetables. Toss to coat with oil. Add the seasoning and mix to coat. Let the seasonings heat until they become fragrant. pour in the water and stir. Cover and cook till potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes.

---------------------------------------------------------------

I also had some beets I couldn’t decide what to do with. I snipped off the greens right away but I had those to deal with too. Look how pretty they are!

OOOO PRETTY.

I knew I wanted to keep the leaves and roots together and I found this recipe. I didn’t, however, want to use pasta. Instead I cooked some quinoa in some veggie broth and used that instead.

I took this picture and I am proud.

---------------------------------------------------------------

That pretty much brings us to last night. Mr. Crow has suggested that I lay off wheat for a while since it makes my stomach upset ant, yet, I eat it anyway because it’s easy and cheap. Anyway. We usually have “burrito night” at least one a week but it’s hard to make burritos without tortillas. Thus the Taco-Tater was born.

SO GOOD.

 

Taco-Taters

For the potatoes:
   2 russet potatoes
   2t canola oil
   kosher salt
For the filling:
   2T canola oil
   1 yellow onion
   1 poblano pepper
   1 clove of garlic
   1/2 lb veggie ground
   taco seasoning
   Daiya cheddar
   Tofutti sour cream
   hot sauce of choice

1. preheat the oven to 350*. Wash the potatoes and poke them with a fork. Coat them in oil, then roll them in salt. Place them directly on the middle rack and bake them for an hour.

2. 15 minutes before the potatoes are done, or 45 minutes later whichever you prefer, Thinly slice up your onion and poblano while you heat the oil to medium-high in a big sauté pan. Toss in the veggies and let them soften. Next, crush the garlic clove into the pan and stir it all about. Once the onions and pepper begin to brown, toss in the ground and stir it all together. Follow the directions for your taco seasoning and you're good to go on that.

3. Pull the potatoes out of the oven and poke a line across the top with a fork press the ends towards the middle to break the potato open and fill it up with the taco filling. Top with the Daiya, Tofutti, and hot sauce and EAT!

Here’s another picture for you!

Try these tonight!

 

And, finally, some pictures of today’s pick-up:

Starting form the lower right: Dragin carrtos, Brioso coffee, swiss Chard, blueberries, peaches, pattypan squash and Zeyphers in the middle.

No comments:

Post a Comment