10 July, 2010

A note from Mr. Crow

DSCN1240Hello, World.  I am Crow Jane’s other half.  You can call me Mr. Crow, though as you might have guessed, it’s not my real name.  I make an appearance here because I’ve been mentioned previously and figured it’s about time for introductions.  Also, I’m slowly learning how to cook, so I’ve decided to post a lovely recipe for you.  Credit goes to The American Vegan Kitchen, page 157 for the marvelous pizza dough and to our blog mistress’ mother for the toppings.

So, our CSA, Wayward Seed, has been providing us with an abundance of swiss chard.  Now, growing up in a family where everything in the fridge, freezer, or cupboards came in box, can, or carton, I didn’t know what swiss chard even was.  Is it like lettuce?  Spinach?  Rhubarb?  What is it good for?  Why is it so colorful?  Why are so many people insane advocates of it?  I have no idea and still don’t.  But since we had so much of it, I had to do something. 

I emailed Jane’s mother, who was quick in providing the following recipe, slightly modified.

 

Swiss Chard PizzaDSCN1221

DSCN1219Preheat oven to 350.  Meanwhile, boil the swiss chard and squeeze dry.

Fry garlic and pine nuts in olive oil until toasty, careful not to burn.  Add swiss chard and separate as you stir constantly over medium heat, as the chard will have gotten clumpy.  Season with salt, black pepper & crushed red pepper.

Roll out pizza dough and brush lightly with olive oil.  Top with swiss chard mix.  Bake about 20 minutes, or until the dough starts to brown slightly. 

It’s super simple to make, even for a novice like me.  The best part is that Crow Jane liked it enough to let me post it here.  I think I may stop by again at some point to share more beginner dishes in the future! 

No comments:

Post a Comment