18 July, 2010

The Last Of The Swiss Chard Soup

Sorry about not posting this sooner but I was out of town Saturday and the internet was down Sunday. however, I’m sure you’ll be glad you were patient because this post has some Wonderful things in it.

I’ll start with the soup and work backward, okay?

So Saturday I was visiting my mom and she showed me her Volumetrics cook book. Inside, there was a picture of a swiss chard soup that looked SUPER-yummy. So I used a little imagination and recreated it this evening for dinner. You even get the recipe since I (kind of) made it up as I went along. This soup turned out hearty and totally satisfying. I thought the amount of spice was perfect but if you’re a spice-wimp feel free to leave it out.

ZUPPA!

Swiss Chard and Garbanzo Soup

1/2lb. pasta shapes (I used brown rice tubatini)
2-3T olive oil
1 small onion, minced
3 cloves of garlic, crushed
1/4 - 1/2 red pepper flake
1 can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
4 cups of vegetable broth
1T tomato paste
1T Braggs Liquid Aminos
1 bunch of swiss chard, stemmed and chopped
Nutritional yeast for sprinkling

1. Put a pot of water on to boil and cook the pasta according to the package directions.

2.  Meanwhile, heat the oil in your favorite soup pot. Add the onion and sauté for 3-4 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté for another minute. Add the garbanzos and red pepper flake and sauté for another 2 minutes.

3. Pour in the broth. Stir in the tomato paste and Braggs and simmer for 10 minutes.

4. Add the swiss chard and simmer for  more minutes.

5. Turn off the heat, add the pasta, and serve with a generous sprinkle of nutritional yeast.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Yesterday, Mr. Crow picked up our CSA! Look what we got!

What will I make this week?!?

Nothing too exotic but I’ll see what I can do about that!

---------------------------------------------------------------

Last Saturday I showed you a picture of my zephyrs. Today I show you a picture of what I did with them:

Boud and leap like a zeypher set free!

So, this is the Hurry-Up Alfredo from Vegan Yum Yum but I added about 1/2 a cup of sundried tomatoes to it. What a discovery! I tossed that with some whole wheat linguini and we topped it with some breaded and baked zephyr. This was super-excellent and a definite “keeper”.

No comments:

Post a Comment