02 June, 2010

Reinventing the Wheel – or, in this case, Hamburger Helper

In my continuing romance with Daiya I decided that macaroni and cheese would be another great way to test its mettle. So I made a simple rue but I didn’t have enough milk to make enough sauce for the whole pound of pasta so, as usual, I improvised. I don’t have a picture of this one but it looks, and tastes, for all the world like what I imagine hamburger Helper tasting like.

CHEEZEBURGER MACARONI
sauce-
2T earth balance
3T flour
1c milk (warm-ish)
1c veggie broth (warm-ish)
1 pkg Cheddar Daiya
salt, pepper, nutmeg
1/2 jar of pasta sauce

1lb whole wheat shells
1lb crumbles

1. Cook the pasta according to the package directions.

Meanwhile:

2. Melt the butter in a heavy-bottomed sauce pan.

3. Sprinkle the flour over it and whisk until it’s just slightly past blonde.

4. Slowly pour in the milk and broth, whisking as you go.

5. Once the liquid is fully incorporated, add the Daiya a little at a time.

6. By this time your sauce will have begun to thicken. Go ahead and season it to taste with salt, pepper, and nutmeg.

7. Dump in your pasta sauce and you’re all set.

8. Warm up your crumbles in the sauce, then added the shells and called it dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment