13 October, 2010

Caramelized Onion - Butternut Squash Soup

I’ve decided that, when possible, I’ll separate my posts by dish so that I can find my recipes in the future. I can’t seem to remember to tag my entries so this seems to be the next best option for now. So, obviously, today’s entry will be about the GREAT soup I made for dinner the other night!

Mr. Crow really loves French Onion soup so, when I got a butternut squash from the CSA and i found this recipe it’s as if the stars aligned. I got this book from the library so I’ll post the recipe here. I do want to encourage you to check it out, it’s full of really great ideas and soup is cheap!

Serves 6

1T butter (Earth Balance)
2-3 T olive oil
4 medium onions, halved and thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 sm/md butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1/2" cubes
1/3 cup port wine (I used a dry white)
6 cups water (i used Better Than Bullion no beef)
2 parmigiano-reggiano cheese rinds (I used 1/4 c Nooch and 1T awase miso)
salt and pepper

1. over med-high heat, combine the butter and 1 tablespoon of the oil and sauté onions, lowering the heat as the onions start to reduce and lose their liquid, eventually becoming golden brown and caramelized (sweet tasting and no longer crunchy). 20 to 25 minutes. Keep stirring and scraping the pan often to keep the onions from sticking and to incorporate the browned bits that form on the bottom of the pot. You might need a bit more oil as you cook (I didn't). Stir in the garlic and squash and sauté another 5 to 7 minutes, then deglaze with the wine.

2. Add water (broth) and parmesan rinds (don't add the nooch/miso yet). and bring to a boil. Lower heat, partially cover and simmer for 15 minutes.

3. Stir in the nooch and miso. (You have to wait until now! You don't want to kill all those good enzymes, do ya?!). Season with salt and pepper.

4. NOM!

This soup went great with some crusty bread and hard cider!

No comments:

Post a Comment