23 August, 2010

Stuff I did this week:

Alright, words are back with the addition of some free time and a special request by a special lady. Yeay!

To start, I’d like to present you (ironically) with some pictures of things i found around town. First off Wolverine’s Bikini!

Thanks Target.

Next, beer pong for kids. Gotta start ‘em early!

Thanks again, Target.

Next, a snack I will someday buy from World Market because everyone says good good eat:

YES!

A picture of Mr. Mc from the old days:

RAAR!

And, last but not least, a sad thing I saw today:

Now what will the children do?

Alright, now that that’s done with, on to the food stuff!

Oh wait! Here’s a picture of my friend Sam:

Ahh, my Sam-bot

Okay. Sooooo, yesterday Mr Crow and I rode our bikes to the North Market, picked up our CSA,

YEAY!

and went to a new diner called Knead. Oh man, SO GOOD! I had a pizza with pesto, smoked shiitake mushrooms and tomatoes

I can't believe I ate the whole thing. on second thought, yes I can.

Mr Crow got a breakfast burrito with eggs, black beans, and potatoes with a green chili sauce.

He ate the whole thing too.

The coolest part about this place is that they locally source all their ingredients! They don’t have a ton of vegan options but I’d go back for that pizza once a week.

Going back even further to some other night that may have been Thursday, I made this:

Did I mention this was delicious? Because, well, it was delicious.

The base is caramelized onion and eggplant marinara from Vegan Yum Yum (go buy the book already!) with oven fried zucchini and tofu ricotta from the Vegan With a Vengeance cookbook. I feel like I could eat just a bowl of this sauce . . I don’t even need bread to go with it. . . but if someone gave me bread, you know, I wouldn't turn it down. *ahem*

So, for the zucchini, I started with this recipe and made a few adjustments as follows:

- instead of cornmeal and oat bran I used flour and panko

- instead of Cajun spices I used and Italian blend

- instead of buttermilk I used 1/2 cup almond milk with ~1t apple cider vinegar in it.

I also baked some scones by “veganizing” this recipe. I added about 1/2 cup of macadamia nuts and 1/2 cup of candied ginger that I roughly chopped in my mini-chop along with about a cup of chopped peaches. It was almost too much for the dough to bear but man were they delicious. Forgive me for not taking a picture, though. I forgot and, by the time I remembered again, it was too late.

Today we started our day with peach smoothies but by 2:00 or so we were hungry again. We had all that corn from the CSA yesterday and we wanted to eat something that  would use that ingredient. Mr Crow found a recipe for corn cakes but it required a trip to the grocery store that we didn’t feel like making. So i did some looking around in my favorite places and found a recipe for corn fritters on Vegan Dad’s blog. He had made his Thai style with curry paste but I didn’t have any so I added 2t of southwestern seasoning instead. Also, I used fresh, raw corn since I had it. I don’t know if it made an appreciable difference but these were so darn good I wish I had a second stomach to put the rest!

Man, am I ever glad I made these!

As you can see, I also made a dipping sauce on the fly that I’ll try to give you the recipe for:

1/4c Tofutti sour cream
1/4c Tofutti cream cheese
2-3T hot sauce of your choice
1T Braggs Liquid Aminos
1/4 - 1/2t Liquid Smoke

Mix it all up and it’s all done. This spicy, creamy dipping sauce would be great on sammies too!

Oh, just looking at the picture makes me want more! mmmmmm.

*************************************************

Now that dinner is over I can happily finish this post!

So yesterday I realized, while putting away a bag of green beans, that I had another, slightly older, bag of green beans in the crisper drawer that I had forgotten about. OH NOZ! With this knowledge, I knew I had to do something with green beans and quickly. While poking around on the internet I came across this recipe for a green bean and potato salad on the Food Network site and this recipe for a broiled green bean and cherry tomato side dish on the Vegan Yum Yum blog caught my eye. Knowing that I also had a pint of cherry tomatoes that would never get eaten otherwise, I combined the two recipes for one FABULOUS dinner!

the lemon juice in the pesto really makes this dish something great. Every so often you'd get a bite and be pleasently surprised.

First, I followed the directions to roast the cherry tomatoes.

In the mean time, I made the pesto, substituting raw cashews for the pine nuts (because it’s what I had) and adding about 1/4c of nutritional yeast in place of the parmesan.

Then I washed and trimmed the beans and played a video game.

Next, I removed the tomatoes from the oven and put them in a bowl.

While the potatoes were steaming, I was baking the beans at 450F (I’m afraid of my broiler).

the beans and the potatoes were done at the same time (I left the beans and potatoes hot, incase that wasn’t clear.) and I tossed it all in a bowl. Yeay! Done! Dinner!

In short, it was great. Mr Crow had two big servings and I’ve got no green beans left. win-win.

And now, with a full belly, it’s time to watch True Blood.

No comments:

Post a Comment