22 January, 2010

Kitchen Alchemy

Today I made oatmeal for breakfast. Not just any old oatmeal either. I made cherry-vanilla oatmeal with chopped almonds. Oh yes! And do you know what? Mr. Crow didn’t like it very much at all. Apparently he doesn't like the texture of steel cut oats. He prefers the rolled variety. oh well.

Now, I’ve got about 2 cups of oatmeal chilling in my fridge and I like oatmeal on occasion but I don’t fancy eating it for an entire week, you know? So what’s a girl to do? I put on my Sorcerer's Apprentice outfit and got to work!

The conversation with myself looked a bit like this:

More breakfast items?

. . .Nah, that’s boring

What about cake or something?

No, I’m not thrilled with that either.

Well, how about cookies?

YEAH! (tickticktickticketytick[me on the lappy]) Ooo! That's a simple recipe. . . but I don’t have enough flour. . . COCO POWDER!

And, thus, my newest creation was born:

Black Forest Oatmeal Drop Cookies.

You will need:

1 3/4c flourChewey, moisty goodness!

1/4c coco powder

1t baking powder

1/4t baking soda

1t salt

1t cinnamon

1/4t nutmeg

1c sugar

2/3c shortening

3t Ener-G Egg Replacer mixed with 4T warm water

1 1/2–2c cooked steel cut oatmeal

1/2c rough chopped dried cherries

1/2c rough chopped almonds (I used whole roasted ones)

Preheat your oven to 375F and spray a cookie sheet with nonstick cooking spray.

Sift all the dry ingredients together. Add the shortening and egg replacer mixture and beat on medium-low until combined. Add the oatmeal, almonds, and cherries and stir until thoroughly combined. Drop by rounded teaspoons into prepared baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes. remove to a cooling rack and then eat’em!

No comments:

Post a Comment