03 January, 2010

I ate TWICE today!

True story. Whisking

For breakfast I made vegetarian sausage gravy and biscuits. You can find the recipe here and, let me tell you, you won’t be disappointed. I did make some seasoning adjustments by adding some thyme and a generous amount of freshly ground black pepper to the “gravy” but, although I’ve got nothing to compare it to having never eaten the actual meat dish in my life, it was a savory, filling breakfast that I would gladly have again. It was quick, easy, and it only required one pan! WIN! YUM! Bisquick eat your heart out.

Then, we hung our original Kribbs on the wall, finally! We had to wait for the calendar to come down and free up the appropriate spot near the espresso machine. Be jealous.

"Coffee Feeling" '08

After that Mr. Crow and I went out to run errands. We did laundry, dropped off our recycling, Petco for cat litter, and World Market where I found this:

Don't Stop the Poopin'!

Truly, the world is full of wondrous things.

Anyway, upon arriving home Mr. Crow and I were famished from all the hunting and gathering. So, whilst he assembled the new entertainment stand we bought I scurried to the kitchen to make cheese steak sandwiches!!!!! Yet another meat dish that I’ve never actually had. This recipe comes from my vegetarian starter kit that came from Mercy For Animals. Again, I made a few changes but I think they turned out for the best. Mr. Crow ate two of these in about five seconds flat.

1T olive oil

1 med. onion, halved and thinly sliced

1 med. red bell pepper, seeded and julienned

8 oz. of seitan (we made our own)

a generous splash of Braggs liquid aminos

Salt and freshly ground black pepper

4 oz of mozzarella cheese (*vegetarian please!)

4 small (6”) pitas (or flatbreads)

*most cheeses are made with rennet which is an enzyme that comes from a dead cow’s stomach. ovo-lacos beware! Plus, it’s just nasty. You can find cheeses made with bacterial enzymes fairly easily but if it just says “enzymes” on the back it’s probably dead cow.

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and bell pepper, cover, and cook, stirring a few times, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the seitan and cook, turning once, until lightly browned on both sides, about 5 minutes. Add Braggs and season to taste with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with cheese and recover to melt. Scoop the mixture into the bread and enjoy!

Like my new plates?

And now some pictures of things completely unrelated to anything else!

First up: a fruit bowl! It looked so happy and good I just wanted to share it !

Feeling fruity!

Now, this next picture is something we bought at the grocery store. It’s supposed to be all amazing and stuff. It sounds good so we’re going to try it. Mr. Crow doesn’t eat enough fruits and veggies for my liking and he oftentimes forgets to take his vitamins so this is the alternative. CHOCOLATE SMOOTHIE!!!

I've got my fingers crossed.

I’m trying the “berry” and “natural” flavors as well. A product review will be forthcoming. Also, if you’re interested, here is a link to the product website for you to see for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment